Now, I’m inviting you all to give me your best retorts/ responses to the following aarrrgggghh statements/ questions/ situations… and do share some that you might have come across..
1. At an interview to a single woman: When are you getting married? To a married woman: Are you planning a family in the near future?
2. Two male colleagues discussing the absence of another male colleague:
C1: “He left early (which was well past official timing anyway)… he had to take care of his kid”
C2: Looking surprised, “What does his wife do? Already henpecked is it!” sniggers
3. At a ribbon cutting ceremony, a young woman is approached by a male colleague
MC: Making it sound like it is some great honor “We need a young woman like you to greet the chief guest ..”(hold a tray and offer the scissors)
The irked young woman refuses and the man turns to another not so young woman in desperation. There are atleast 30 men – young and not so young at the ceremony!
4. Male colleague sharing lunch that he had cooked. Another MC – “That’s the plight of being married to a working woman”
5. Perception that women who drink/ smoke have ‘loose morals’. On many occasions, I’ve heard comments such as, “She drinks and attends late night parties, so obviously…(men misbehave)” And almost always it sounds like it is the woman’s fault and not the man’s.
Now, kind readers, how would you react?